Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sleeping outside

I slept outside on my balcony again. It's becoming a need, I am thinking about getting a simple platform for a 'real' bed out there. For some mysterious reason mosquitos don't bite me so I am able to sleep in the open. I am on a second floor balcony at the exact height of the tree tops. I swear it's like sleeping in an adult sized tree-house; and I sleep like a baby even though I am sleeping on a pretty slim pad and side sleeping isn't an option. But I'm a back-sleeper anyway so it works. I did pick up a mosquito net yesterday at my favorite thrift store - the one on Rice and Larpenteur - now I have to figure out how to mount it. You know, with out a handy man in the house. How hard can it be, buying a hookie-screwie thing and getting a ladder up here.

Last night we went to Fraconia Sculpture Park with friends. We went for a Shakespeare in the park production. I didn't mean to do it but the moment I laid down on my (newly acquired also at thrift store) blanket, I fell into a deep sleep. There was something so safe and cozy about falling a sleep outside in the middle of a big group of people. Tribal or something. I don't know how long I slept but I woke up with the sun beaming straight into my face. I could feel the firm support of the earth beneath me and the encircling of young trees around us. As the play ended we all just wanted to stay and stay. One dear friend, then another and then another joined and we all snuggled on blankets on the ground as we talked about life and healing and Spirit and listened to the band that followed the play. We talked about wanting to camp together. Maybe in one friend's yard, soon. We all just want to be together, hang out, talk about life and love and how we understand the pain and the joy and how we are there for each other. It's so nice not to feel alone.

Today, we are going out to the Solstice celebration at Philadelphia Community Farm in Osceola. Join us! They have an actual, gorgeous waterfall on their property, woods, animals, barn. There will be a fire and there will be a potluck and there will be a play. Maybe I will bring my new blanket and lay down on the ground somewhere, allow our generous and ever giving Earth to imbue me with her healing powers, listening to the voices of other wonderful souls communing, children running and playing and exploring. And basically, just being outside. As much as possible. With friends and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment